Sunday, October 7, 2012

Act 1 Scene 2


HAMLET:Oh! If only my all too human flesh would melt and turn into dew, 
And if only God had not forbidden suicide!
Oh God! Oh God! This world and everything in it seems so pointless!
Ugh! Only vile and rank things grow in gardens that have been unweeded...
But that it should come to this!

He's been dead for two months - not even two months!
He was an incredible king, and he was so loving to my mother that he would command the wind not to blow too roughly on her face if he could...
Good God! Must I remember?
She would hang onto my father as if he only ever fueled her hunger for him, she loved him so much, yet within a month-

I can't even think about it. Women are the epitome of weakness. 
She only mourned my father for a measly little month before she grew tired of it. 
Oh God! I'm so disgusted! A beast with no brains would have mourned longer, and then she goes and marries my uncle!! My father's brother!
Well he's nothing compared to my father, just as I am nothing compared to Hercules. 

A MONTH!!
As soon as the salt of the last pathetic little tears she cried dried, she remarried. 
She flung herself all too quickly into the incestuous sheets of my uncle's bed. 

This is not good, and it will never come to any good. 

But wait! I need to control my true emotions, for I need to hold my tongue. Someone's coming. 

-----------------------
Throughout his first soliloquy, it is obvious that Hamlet is distraught by his father's death and is equally disgusted with his mother's decision to remarry so quickly - to his uncle, no less. 

Hamlet's innermost thoughts are primarily signaled by his constant interruption of himself. He fervently declares phrases such as "Oh God!" numerous times, signaling that it pains him even to think about what has happened. He can barely even utter a coherent sentence, he's so upset. 

Hamlet's respect for his father and grief at his death is evident through the tone of sadness and despair that permeate the sections of the soliloquy that talk about him. He can barely talk about his father, and he misses him so much that he would rather kill himself than live in the messed-up world that he left behind. 

Hamlet's disgust with his mother is just as evident. By comparing his mother to a beast with no brains, it is obvious that he thinks little of her now, even if he had respected her beforehand. 

1 comment: